Spiritual Guidance from Spirit Guides
Love is the most powerful force in the universe and the basis of higher consciousness. For this reason we are blessed, even though we are living in a reality where the dominant emotion is fear. We are blessed because when we ask sincerely, through prayer or promise, and our desire is strong, our prayer or wish will be answered, one way or another.
Many people wish to know their Spirit Guide(s) and how they can communicate with them.
We know of the concept through the religious idea of the guardian angel and that we can pray to them. I remember as a child thinking it was a lovely idea, but like Santa Claus, it didn’t really exist.
Whether we know them as guardian angels or spirit guides, we come to awareness of them in our own way. What we all have in common is our perceptive realisation of how their guidance is so valuable.
We tend to look at problems from a narrower point of view and can’t see the broader possibilities. Spirit Guides are more creative with problem-solving and specialise in ‘have your cake and eat it’ type of guidance.
How to tell a genuine spirit guide
Apparently people, in their quest to communicate with their guide, have channelled a lesser being, known in the trade as a ‘negative entity’.
If you are sceptical about the whole idea of channelling, and believe me I was once, there are ways to tell the genuine article. Let the following traits be your litmus test of a genuine spirit guide.
• They are not judgmental, and they do not give ultimatums or must do’s.
• Their advice is always given like we have a choice – to see it this way or that way, or to choose to take the advice, or not. That way we learn to take responsibility for our own actions.
• They have a humility about them and do not act in a superior manner, and they don’t claim to know everything. Yet their advice is always constructive and beneficial.
• They will tell us that our purpose is not to seek perfection, but wholeness, so they will not criticise anyone or anything in our life.
• They say a lot in a few words. Receiving a message will feel like someone struck a bell and you hear it toll.
• They also have a sense of fun and a great sense of humour, and often expose this in their communication to make it easy for you to identify them through feeling and intuition.
There is the saying we have to play the hand of cards of life we are dealt. Playing our hand (life) skilfully is a challenge, and guides can see our hand and offer us guidance on making the next move.
How Spirit Guides Communicate with you
Communication with guides is subtle but clear and definite. You can sense you are being guided when you suddenly get an insight, especially if you have let the question drop for a time and left your mind open to inspiration.
Answers will typically come through the following channels:
• Dreams – often in a school or gymnasium type setting
• Conscious premonitions, sense of knowing
• Out of body experiences
• Precognitive dreams
• Feeling a presence near or around you
• Wisdom that seems to come through you
After establishing a link with them, you will get triggers when they are there for you. Some triggers are:
• Your breathing slows and becomes more relaxed
• Tingling sensations on the scalp or down your leg
• Feel an opening or a bursting in the heart
• Sweeping feelings of humility or love.
Making yourself receptive to Spirit Guide communication
Inspiration from your guide can come anywhere and anytime and under any circumstances, provided you are not in the thick of a negative state.
You can prime yourself in the following way:
• Still the mind and let go of any expectancy, and be open.
• Don’t look for disguised, obscure, clever, vague, or cryptic messages. A genuine guide’s message is clear and simple.
• Consciously reduce any muscle tension in the face and body.
• Be in the moment, and in the flow of whatever you are doing.
Guides can enter your thoughts gently while you are in a light meditative state, while your own consciousness is present and alert. Because of this, you may find yourself wondering ‘is this my imagination’?
After contact with your guide, there is a feeling of heightened awareness and well-being.
What the Age of Aquarius means for Channelling Spirit Guides
The dawning of the Age of Aquarius started to begin at the end of the millennium. These age shifts happen, at a collective level, only once every 2,000 years and mark a new stage in the evolution of human consciousness.
The Piscean Age
During the Age of Pisces (up to the late 20th century), psychic phenomena had reached public awareness but the area of psychic mediums was littered with fraudsters who affected the credibility and reputation of the ability to make contact with spirits.
Spirit channelling was done by psychic mediums who would enter a trance state. They would practically lose consciousness and allow themselves to be a vehicle for the spirit to communicate through them.
This was characteristic of the Piscean age which lauded authority and disapproved of self-determinism. Spiritually, Pisces age is focused on the concept of the saviour coming to redeem us, or, the spiritual guru who leads us by the nose from one wilderness to another. People were lodged in the role of the obedient follower or devotee.
Even though it fuelled the collective search for truth, it also left us exposed to dogma. We followed the interpretations of the leaders or gurus without question, which encouraged dependency and a slavish obedience to authority.
The Aquarian Age
The Aquarian age is a shift to self responsibility and control of our own spiritual development. In this transitional time, we are seeing the early changes like the flourishing self help movement and spiritual awakening.
Today’s psychics and mediums do not enter a trance state. They remain fully conscious in a meditative and relaxed frame of mind. They actually ‘tune in’ to the higher dimensions by bringing their mind into focus to receive, like a radio transceiver.
Now there is the notion of ‘co-creativity’ and instead of using a psychic to channel our spirit guide, we can cultivate the ability ourselves. This does not diminish the work of professional psychic mediums because they do provide valuable resources to channel other higher beings including the archangels for those who are new to psychic awareness.
If you want to channel your own guide, work on the self is more important than ever. Without the full trance state, the person who is channelling their guide will have to be objective about their own biases that may affect how they interpret the communication.
We have the potential to skew the messages that come through. So we need to become more ‘transparent’, that means holding no assumptions. This tends to throw us back on ourselves and makes us face and deal with our own short-comings. It also encourages our individuality and to find our own inner wisdom.
There may be times in your life when you are tempted to get a psychic reading for some spiritual counselling, or even out of curiosity. You might be recommended a good psychic by a friend. Either way, it is important to know that a reading can also be skewed if you are not careful. For practical tips based on real life experience check out how to avoid a fortune telling when having a psychic reading.